|Home Page Archives Society News e-mail Eydon Players||
Eydon, the village
Eydon is an ancient village, named in the Domesday Book. It is built on the southeastern slopes of a 600 foot hill in Northamptonshire. The church of St. Nicholas is the oldest building, dating from the 13th century. Most of the village burnt down in the fire of 1651, but there are a substantial number of houses and cottages dating from the late 17th century. These are built of the locally quarried ironstone, which is a pleasant shade of red-brown.
Another fire of Eydon in 1905 removed half of one side of the High Street. Most, but not all, of the destroyed houses were rebuilt.
There has been a small amount of modern housing built in the last 30 years, but the village still remains compact, with a population of around four hundred. There is a public house, the Royal Oak, and a Village Hall, but no school, no shop and no Post Office.
|Above: A view of some of the oldest houses in the village|
For more information on Eydon, take a look at the village website at http://www.eydon.org.uk/Copyright © 2002. EydonPlayers